Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Definitions

Nine and ten year old kids in public schools around Medellín were asked to define things, feelings and ideas. These are some of the responses...

Body
It’s what covers our bones.

A very necessary organ.

Government
People dressed in green.

Person
Something covered in skin.

Earth
What they cover dead people with.

Memory
The reason for living

Night
Very dark daytime.

When the family gathers together.

Empty
It’s when there’s nothing in a jar.

President
Somebody who doesn’t value our complaints.

Hope
I hope that when I get home there will be food.

Dust
It’s when somebody coughs.

News
Information, or important gossip.

Mud
Something women put on their face to stop wrinkles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm young, and still living at home. Thus, I have my own room, my home sanctuary -- not to say the rest of the house is unfriendly, just that I'm most comfortable inside my room, as with many others.

Also like many others, I used to cut out magazine and newspaper articles, photos, momentos and such to stick on my bedroom walls. They gave me a sort of perspective on the world outside my bedroom, of awe and motivation for the thrills and heartfelt expressions of those who live in this world.

About two years ago, I took everything down from the walls. I don't know why. Now I'm reaffirming that tradition with new pieces of inspiration, and this blog entry is - without a doubt - being included.

Thank you to the children of Medellin.